MBC Group [www.mbc.net | www.alarabiya.net | www.shahid.net] is the leading Multi-Media & Entertainment conglomerate in the MENA region, home to the first private Free-To-Air Arab Satellite TV channel MBC1 (London, 1991). Mazen HAYEK joined MBC Group in October 2006. His role as MBC Group’s Official Spokesman includes additional Commercial, PR & CSR managerial responsibilities, with the primary objective to nurture enduring and mutually beneficial relationships with key stakeholders, namely the Press/Media, Top Political/Business decision-makers, Advertisers/Brand guardians, Media Buying Units/consultants, Suppliers and End-consumers; and Key Influencers… covering:
- MBC1 (general entertainment channel) and MBC DRAMA (24/7 Arabic Drama)
- MBC2 and MBC MAX (24-hour movie channels)
- MBC3 (children’s edutainment)
- MBC4 (entertainment for young families, with women at its core)
- MBC Action (indigenous adrenaline-packed, with local and homegrown productions)
- Al Arabiya (24-hour Arabic language News channel) & Al Hadath (LIVE & Developing Stories)
- Wanasah (24-hour Arabic music) & Platinum Records (Record Label/Talent Management)
- MBC MASR & MBC MASR2 (Cairo-based general entrainment channels targeting the Egyptian family)
- MBC Bollywood (Indian movies and series dubbed/subtitled in Arabic)
- MBC Variety (Movies & Series channel)
- MBC+ Drama (Paid TV channel)
- MBC USA (US satellite feed)
- MBC PRO SPORTS (Saudi Football Premier League- Four Channels)
- MBC Hope (“MBC األمل”) CSR
- MBC FM (Gulf music) and Panorama FM(contemporary Arabic hit music)
- O3 Productions (Selfie; Omar Series; Saraya Abdeen; Men Wanted; Zero4; Ruby; others)
- New Media/Digital offerings, Online portals, Video-On-demand, Push/Web TV, others.
Expertise and Key Contributions
- Corporate Communications, Launch, Events and Crisis Management for new offerings: ‘MBC PRO SPORTS’, ‘MBC Bollywood’, ‘MBC MASR’, ‘Al Hadath’, ‘MBC Action’, ‘MBC Persia’, ‘MBC Max’, ‘MBC+ Drama’, ‘Alarabiya.net’ (Ar. & Eng.), ‘MBC Drama’ and the ‘Turkish Drama genre’… among others.
- Winners’ Announcements and Tours of top-rated global flagship TV shows in their local versions, namely: ‘Arab Idol’, ‘the Voice’ and ‘the Voice Kids’, ‘Arabs Got Talent’, ‘MBC The X Factor’, ‘Project Runway ME’, ‘Top Chef’, and others… incl. but not limited to Corporate Communications, Launch, Events and Crisis Preparedness/Management.
- Brand re-positioning of Al Arabiya News Channel: “Know More” – July 2007 / on-going.
- Launch of new Marketing platforms and Multi-Media offerings within MBC Marketing (2006-2017 / on-going).
- Secured non-conventional sources of Commercial revenue from Product Integration, Branded Content, Advertorial, Vignettes and Content Marketing, etc…
- Key Stakeholders’ relationships MENA (incl. gov/legal affairs, Advertisers, Ad Sales Rep.).
- Managing departmental budgets, revenue growth and P&L.
- Monitoring, Analysis, Research and Measurement of PR/Press/Social Media Content.
- Joined the “Global Business Coalition for Education, GBC-Education” w/ the aim to deliver quality “Education in Emergencies”, led by Sarah and Gordon Brown (2015).
- Official Delegate at the “Global Entrepreneurship Summit – GES2016” (Palo Alto, Silicon Valley – June 22-24, 2016).
- Panellist/Speaker at The “World Humanitarian Summit” (Istanbul – May 23-24, 2016).
- “INSEAD Talk” on Media to Masters Students (Fontainebleau – May 17, 2016).
- TEDxTalk “On Hope vs. Fear” at “SciencesPo” (Menton-France on February 4, 2017).
- Member of the UAE Official Steering Committee of the “Arab Reading Challenge” (since Sept. 2015).
- Board Member of “INJAZ Al-Arab” (since June 2012).
- Executive Board Member of the “International Advertising Association – IAA” UAE Chapter (June 2014 -2016).
Prior to joining MBC Group, Mazen HAYEK was the Managing Director of Manning Selvage & Lee Public Relations (“MS&L/Dubai”), an entity of the Leo Burnett Group, MENA (part of the Multinational “Groupe Publicis” – France). During his tenure, HAYEK oversaw the Agency’s delivery of strategic PR/Corporate Comms. counsel to a wide range of industry-leading clients and led MS&L’s regional office, overseeing a strong team of PR consultants.
Holder of a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Political Science and Public Administration from the Université Saint-Joseph (USJ), Beirut-Lebanon, Mazen HAYEK is a former Master of Arts (MA) student in Political Studies at the American University of Beirut (AUB) – pending thesis; and Université de Paris-I, Panthéon-Sorbonne.
In June 2013, HAYEK successfully completed the “High Potentials Leadership Program” (“HPLP”) at Harvard Business School (HBS), Boston – Massachusetts.